Math is Cool! (Is it?)

          A few days ago, precisely last Saturday, the 21st of April, 2013, I went to Des Moines, Washington, to participate in a contest called the Math is Cool contest.
          The first part was the Mental Math contest. It was a series of 8 questions of mental math, with only 30 seconds for each one. Lots of people got messed up when the test proctor asked what was 35*26. Everybody forgot about the numbers so fast probably nobody but me got the question right. I was most likely the only one who calculated that correctly in my head in <30 seconds.
          The second part was the Individual contest. It wasn't that hard, but Kevin and Patrick Fan got the last problem wrong. The third part was the Team contest. I'm not happy to say this, but Kevin and Patrick Fan just started running around after they were done. The relay was not so good, either. Patrick Fan took a lot of our precious five minutes doodling on the first page!!! This took away a lot of time - the rest of us had to finish in less than a minute!
          The final part was the College Bowl. It was fun. We won all the rounds. I was the best at it, as I am awesome at mental math. I calculated a lot of answers. We pulled the string on the buzzer, competing against the opponent for time and speed. It was really exciting.
          All in all, it was a great competition and a fun one too!
Here's a good article!
Can You Hear Me Now? Cellphone Satellites Phone Home : NPR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

我打开网上中文学校的窗口。网上中文学校的教学内容十分丰富。

我接通了“因特网”,这网上的世界可真精彩呀!

我在电脑上给爷爷奶奶发电子邮件。爷爷奶奶很高兴。